Outpatient orthopedic surgery is also known as same-day surgery and is an increasingly popular choice for people undergoing orthopedic procedures. It is as safe and as effective as orthopedic surgery performed in a hospital setting. Outpatient orthopedic surgery has several distinct advantages:
- Outpatient surgery allows you to recover at home in a more comfortable setting.
- Outpatient surgery may decrease your risk of postoperative wound infection and very possibly your risk of becoming infected with COVID-19.
- Several studies have shown that outpatient orthopedic surgery decreases the risk of other significant postoperative complications such as pneumonia, blood clots, and urinary tract infection.
- Many patients who have chosen to proceed with total joint replacement of the knee and shoulder may not be aware that these procedures are being safely performed in outpatient surgical centers with safety and outcomes on par with those obtained in a hospital setting. If you are undergoing a total joint replacement of the knee or shoulder, ask Dr. Samani if you might be a candidate to have your joint replacement performed on an outpatient basis.
- The anesthesia teams staffing the outpatient orthopedic centers that Dr. Samani performs surgery in are specialists in regional anesthesia, which greatly reduces postoperative pain and the chances of a stiff joint following outpatient arthroscopic surgery and outpatient joint replacements.